The purpose of the Oliver Pickleball Club is to promote and grow the game of pickleball for all ages and skill levels in and around the Town of Oliver, British Columbia by creating an environment of healthy exercise, social interaction, good sportsmanship, and fun. We will provide skill and mentoring programs to enhance recreational play. We will assist with the development and utilization of local outdoor pickleball facilities for their optimum use and enjoyment. We will promote the sport of pickleball through various means, including instructional time for beginners, skills and drills for experienced players, club play for all levels, recruitment and inclusion of new members, coordinating play and special events with other similar clubs, and hosting “fun”, unsanctioned tournaments.
Article I- MEMBERSHIP
1. There are two types of memberships: one is a Playing Member who is entitled to club play, tournaments, social events associated with the Oliver Pickleball Club. The second is an Associate Membership, which allows participation in any social events, fund raising, and volunteer positions.
2. Anyone may become a member by completing an application form and paying the annual fee. The membership fee for the following year will be established by a vote of the membership at the Annual General Meeting in October.
3. All members will abide by the Constitution, By-Laws, and Rules and Regulations established by the Club. Failure to comply may result in termination of membership, on authority of the elected Directors (also known as the Officers, Board or Executive).
Article II- MEETINGS and SPECIAL RESOLUTIONS
1. There shall be an Annual General Meeting (AGM) every year held in the month of October, with a minimum of 14 days notice to the members. The purpose of this meeting is to elect directors to the Board, present the financial report for the fiscal year, and other agenda items as disclosed in the notice, or as accepted at the meeting.
2. There shall be a Semi-Annual General Meeting (SGM) every year held in the month of April, with a minimum of 14 days notice to the members. The purpose of this meeting is to decide playing schedules, proposed budget, and other agenda items as disclosed in the notice, or as accepted at the meeting.
3. Every member in good standing will be eligible to vote at meetings as well as hold Board positions.
4. A quorum at the AGM and SGM, or any meeting for special resolutions, shall require the attendance of 10% of the total current members and at least two Board members. The Constitution and BY-Laws may be amended by special resolution, requiring votes of at least 75% of the members in attendance at the AGM or SGM. Items that do not require special resolution, such as fixing the annual dues, shall be by general resolution, composed of a simple majority of those in attendance. A quorum for Board meetings shall be at least three Board members.
Article III- OFFICERS and THEIR DUTIES
1. There shall be nominated and duly elected at each AGM a minimum of three and maximum of five Board members: President, Vice- President, Treasurer, Secretary and directors without title. The Past President shall continue in an advisory capacity for one year following their term.
2. Terms of office shall be one (1) year, from November 1 through October 31 of the following year. Vacancies in any office may be filled by the Board, but then ratified by a majority of the members at the next scheduled membership meeting. At the Annual General Meeting all Board members are required to step down, but may declare their intention to run for re-election, or not, for the next fiscal year. Board members shall not hold office for more than 5 consecutive years.
3. Duties of Officers: Board members shall meet at their discretion during the year to make decisions and carry out tasks to further the Club’s goals and purpose. They shall also be responsible for issuing guidelines and rules not covered by these by-laws.
President: shall assume Club leadership, preside at all meetings, appoint chairs for committees, call special meetings as needed, and generally be a spokesperson for the Club. He/she will approve all purchases on behalf the Club and liaise with the Oliver Community Centre/ Recreation Dept.
Vice- President: shall assume the duties of President in his/ her absence, and generally assist in all Club activities and functions, as necessary.
Treasurer: shall collect dues and assessments, disburse all approved funds, and provide an oral and written financial report for each regular meeting, and a written financial report for the Annual General Meeting. He/she is responsible for all Club monies, reconciling bank statements, and keeping a record of all paid members.
Secretary: shall record minutes of all Club meetings, determine if a quorum exists, and complete all notifications and correspondence as needed. He/she will keep a record of all members.
Article IV- FINANCIAL and DISSOLUTION
1. The fiscal year shall be from November 1 to October 31 of the following year. A financial statement for the past year must be presented by the Treasurer at the AGM and filed for review, approval of the members, and discussion purposes.
2. There will be a limit of one thousand dollars on one-time expenditures by the Board of Directors, without approval of the membership.
3. On dissolution of the Club, all equipment and assets that have been borrowed shall be returned. Items that have been purchased or donated shall be allocated to other clubs or organizations, at the discretion of the Board. Any remaining Club funds shall be distributed equally among the members in good Standing.
Adopted by the Oliver Pickleball Club on April 13, 2019